miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2013

3 Ways Your Comfort Zone Is Restricting Your Life


Expanding your comfort zone is great because of this…because of that…

Personally, I’m more of a consequence thinker. So when people explain a bunch of benefits, I have a tendency to dismiss the whole idea. But when I think of the negative consequences, it all starts to make a lot more sense.

When I sat down and analyzed it, I realized my comfort zone has been the biggest obstacle between me and positive change.

That relaxing feeling when there is no risk involved, you’re quite okay with how things are going and feel no imminent need to change anything. You might not be incredibly happy, or 100% satisfied, but at least you’re comfortable right? Wrong.

Your comfort zone can often be created through actual self-delusion. You tell yourself that there are no better alternatives, that you’re helpless to change the situation, and in it lies a certain comfort. Because it does take the pressure off, since you end up believing you are powerless. But in the long term you are only sabotaging yourself.

All this, so you can avoid feeling lost.

Just so you can avoid feeling challenged.

When I stayed in Japan for a year, at first everything was new and exciting.

But when I settled, and stopped meeting new people, or going out of my way to seek new experiences… deep down I was bored, disappointed and even resentful.

All the while I kept hiding inside my comfort zone, thinking things like ‘it’s not that bad’.

Trying to convince myself I was doing the right thing.

Towards the end when I started to venture outside of it again, even if minimally, I started to be happier and more motivated.

There are many ways your comfort zone could restrict your life, starting with the following three.

1.You Grow Lenient.
When just surfing your own little wave in life and never attempting to leave your comfort zone, it is easy to forsake personal growth.

Months go by and you never even attempt to learn something new, or even consider changing your bad habits.

I mean life has always been this way, and there’s no need to change now right? Wrong,

Time is the most important commodity you have, and investing it is like investing money.

You wouldn’t invest in a company that stayed the exact same net worth forever would you? Then apply the same to your time and invest it towards a better future self!

If I look back at past months and all that is worth remembering is crazy stories from nights out, I feel lost. Even if you feel like you have no pressing purpose in life, not trying new things is a surefire way to never find it.

2.You Postpone Life Goals
An incredibly common thing to do, is to set greater long term life goals for oneself, but then proceed to postpone them further and further.

You tell yourself that you are too busy with work, friends, your love life or any combination of the three.
While it can be hard to understand the importance of making the most of your time when you are young. If you spend too much time waiting, you might be left unable to achieve your goals, or completely forget them.

While I understand the gravity of life, and that sometimes circumstance can limit your options, setting aside a little time each week, or day even, to work towards long term goals is not only healthy, fun, and satisfying… but who knows? You could even end up at your desired destination before you realize it.

3.You Never Discover ‘Your True Self’
You risk ending up so attached to the idea of how you currently are that you ignore a blatant truth… the world is vast, the probability that you have already found all your favorite things in life is very small. You could be one hesitant step away from meeting your new best friend, discovering a new favorite dish or better yet, a new purpose in life.

Going outside of your comfort zone and trying new things is one of the best ways to actually get to know yourself.

Your greatest passion could be hiding as something you’ve never even dreamed of trying!

The great majority of my best memories are from when I challenged myself.

When I went on a picnic/swimming to a place I’d never been before, with people I’d never met.

When I went to explore Osaka on my own. Just me, my feet, and time.

Whenever I did something I was either uncomfortable, or even scared about doing.. I ended up having the most fun, and the best time.

Here are 5 ideas on how you can do the same.

Get out there, learn some new things about yourself, and discover your passion while you’re at it.

There are no limits except the ones you impose on yourself. (And maybe a few more, ahem.)

But I’m curious…

What has been your greatest and most rewarding venture outside of your comfort zone?


To Ragnar, a rather normal Norwegian guy, the ultimate dream is a life of complete freedom. At Tangible Freedom you can follow his journey and insights he gleans on the way, He also enjoys discussion and encourages anyone to share their own thoughts.




No hay comentarios: